Chempetitive Group takes pride in offering internships that are fun, educational and opportunistic. We’re committed to this in large part because our internship program has brought us talented candidates over the years. Many of these people have ended up launching and growing successful marketing careers with us. One of them went on to become President of the United States. OK, that last part isn’t true, but you get the idea: We look for talented people who we can help to grow their skillset and give them experience, so that they can help us grow. It’s a win-win situation.
So what does it take to earn the title of Chempetitive Group’s next top intern?
It’s a question we seem to get a lot. Every week we’re hit up by students, recent grads, and scientists looking to defect from the lab. But frankly, many of them don’t have “it.”
So, what the hell is “it”? We’re glad you asked…
1. People like being around you. You’re smart. You’re reliable. You’re a pleasant and social person — you smile even when you’re on deadline or you’ve got a gazillion things on your to-do list. Cool under pressure. We’re a close-knit group, so you can’t blame us for making “cultural fit” a priority when considering new employees or interns to bring on board.
2. Your career interests veer decidedly toward marketing. You may not be 100 percent certain what career path you want to take, but you have a passion and skill for marketing — in the form of writing, strategy, public relations, or creative disciplines such as web and print design. We know that our very best interns like to push the envelope and think creatively.
3. You always give it your all. There is no such thing as “grunt work” at an agency. We treat every task, however minor, as a reflection of our capabilities. It’s not enough to just get it done. It has to be the best. We rely on our entire team — and that includes our interns — to take a job and run with it, ask questions along the way, and then propel the project to new heights using their own ideas and initiative. Wow us. Challenge us. Prove that you can bring it.
4. You present yourself very well — on the phone, in person, and in writing. There’s no form of communication that’s insignificant at Chempetitive Group. Whether it’s answering a call from a client, writing an email to a colleague, or speaking up during a staff meeting, great interns are able to communicate with confidence, clarity and enthusiasm. Chempetitive Group puts a lot of trust in every member of our team to be awesome. Represent!
5. You “get” science. We digest complicated science, complex issues and technical information and create compelling campaigns that speak authentically to target audiences. That requires a certain inquisitive nature, an ability to geek out, and an understanding that you live in two worlds: the marketing world and the science world. We’re not selling shoes here. We’re building the brands that are shaping the world for the next century. If you get that, then you’re like us.